Thursday, May 24, 2012

Scheduling Insanity

My schedule is kind of crazy...but who's isn't Right?  Between work, family and working out, I don't have a lot of free time.  I'm a pretty early riser during the week - mostly because I have to be.  My carpool for work leaves for work at 5:00AM.  And by the time I get home its almost 5:00 PM.  Once home, its the kids homework, sports, girl scouts and on and on.  Somewhere in there my wife squeezes in her workout.  (She is currently rocking P90X).  By the time 9:00 rolls around the kids are heading off to bed (hopefully) and I'm usually online again for another hour of catching up on work emails. 

But wait a minute, I didn't even talk about my workouts.  That's because I squeeze them in when I can.  I typically wake up at 3:50AM and am out the door by 4:00 for a morning run or ride.  Until recently, that has been it for working out, except on the weekends.  But with summer coming up, and the triathlon looming in the not to distant future, I really need to step it up.

Thankfully, my wife has been very supportive of my triathlon endeavors.  During the summer, I'm planning on riding two nights a week after work as well.  It will be nice because I have recruited one of my coworkers to ride with me as a training buddy.  He is not training for anything in particular, he just likes to ride.  On the other nights, (weather permitting), we will be at the pool.  We belong to a local community swim club.  Our club has a lap pool as well as a general pool.  So when the kids are playing, hopefully I can start cranking out some swim workouts. 

So, Over the last several days, I have been working on putting together a workout schedule.  It's easy to say, I'll run 30 minutes this day and I'll bike 60 that day and so on.  But until you really lay it out on a schedule, you have no idea how that will really impact your daily life.  With an increase in frequency of my workouts, and my wife has her workouts to get in and all the kids activities, finding time to make everything work can be a challenge.  Heck, its been hard enough to find time just to put together the workout schedule. 

I like to use Google Calendars for my planning.  I find that it is a great tool for this purpose.  We already have a family calendar where we keep track of all our goings on.  It's nice to have that synced up to our phones as well so we can each see the calendar wherever we are.  For the workouts I simply created a separate workout calendar that I can overlay on the family calendar to see how well things align.  And its all right there at one time.  When things come up that need us to change plans, we can see everything that is impacted at once and adjust accordingly.  It is very convenient. 

It does take bit of work to set up, but when its all done, I find it motivating to have the schedule in front of me.  I know exactly whats expected on any particular day.  I know what workouts I'm planning on doing and when.  I will post a copy of the schedule somewhere on this blog, if I can figure out how to do it.

We all have a lot of things going on in our lives.  So, how do you make your schedule work?

No comments:

Post a Comment