Wednesday, May 30, 2012

How long is this going to take anyways?

So as I'm getting back into the workout routine, I'm starting to wonder a a about a few things.  Lately I've been wondering how long is it going to take me to complete a sprint triathlon? Since my goal is to finish the triathlon without stopping during any of the legs, I'm trying to figure out how long I need to keep moving.  In training, I figure that I should be able to keep up some sort of activity for at least as long as I think it will take. Does that make sense to anyone except me?

So what do I need to prepare for? Am I going to be out there for an hour, two or maybe 4?   I mean, at this point, I'm out running for 50 minutes and I'm pretty much spent.  I don't have much left in me.  I know I'm training and all and I plan on working on my performance, but come on really, what's realistic?

I'm definitely going to have to do some trial and error work here.  I haven't had the chance to test the swim and bike yet. I know I can run a 5K in less than 30 minutes, so that's a start. Although, that is a fresh 5K - not after swimming and biking.  I'm guessing the bike will probably be close to double that. That assumes I can ride at 13 mph average. And what a out the swim. 15 minutes maybe?  So what's that get me to, an hour and 45 minutes?  Does it make sense to plan my training around these times?

Here is how I plan on estimating my split times. Its a pretty basic approach to the whole thing.  Nothing technical here.

1.  Complete each individual distance and see how long it takes me to do it fresh.  This should give me a pretty basic idea of the time required for each split.
2.  Practice completing the full individual distances as often as I can.  This shouldn't be too difficult considering I'm only training for a sprint at this point. Plus this is a confidence builder.  It will be a big boost to my confidence to know that none of the splits by themselves will be enough to bring me down.
3.  Once I'm proficient at each distance, I will start combining them. For example, swim then bike, or bike then run.  This will give me some idea as to how much the combined affects of the splits will impact my individual times. Again another confidence builder.
4.  Eventually, I should be able to complete all three back-to-back-to-back.  And this will be the ultimate test to verify that I'm ready.  I don't think that the triathlon should be the first time I complete the full distance.
That's it.  Like I said, no rocket science here. Take baby steps and build my confidence as I go.

As I currently have it planned in my insane schedule, I intend on doing the full distance several times in the weeks prior to the triathlon.

"I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.  Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." - Muhammad Ali

1 comment: