Monday, May 7, 2012

Running Form 101

Everyone Has a Say
Running form seems to be a topic that can generate lots and lots of conversation. From the shoes on your feet to how you swing your arms to what you think about, it seems as though everyone has a say in running form.
I titled this post Running Form 101, even though it's basically all I know about running.  Someday, as I progress in skill, I will probably have more to add.  I am by no means an experienced runner. I mean, I can run. I ran hurdles on the track team in high school (albeit not very well). And after high school it was nearly 20 years before I ran in any kind of race again.  

That being said, I have been running alot lately. And as I have discovered, there is a vast amount of information out there on how to run. I have been reading many articles and watching many videos out there that claim to be the complete guide to good running form.

From what I can gather, there are some basic points that most people seem to agree on when it comes to running.  I have incorporated these basic points into my running style and have seen some pretty good results.  Here is what I have learned:

Basic Running Technique

1. Land mid-soul. Basically land on the middle of your foot when you are running. This does several things to improve your run. It softens the impact to your joints (knees hips spine). Landing heel first forces all your weight to be concentrated on your heel and then transferred directly through your skeletal system .  This potentially smashes your bones together at your joints. This seems to be what was happening in my hip.
A mid foot strike allows your legs to act as more of a spring softening the blow and allowing you to bound forward. A mid foot strike can even be practiced while walking. Just think about the balls of your feet as you walk. Not walking on your toes just concentrate in the balls of your feet and you will naturally start to develop this technique.

2. Pick up the pace. Taking more steps is ok (actually its preferred). With the change in your foot strike, you may notice that your stride is not as long as it used to be. Thats ok. With less pounding on your body you should be able to cycle your legs faster.  This takes some getting used to, especially if you have been running the same way for along time. 

3. Keep your head up. Keeping your head up and looking towards the distance forces your body to keep a more upright posture. This reduces stain in your neck and lower back. Additionally, it helps you keep balanced. If you are looking down towards your feet you are more prone to tripping because you are shifting your center of gravity too far forward over your toes to the point where even the slightest misstep or stumble can send you to the pavement - face first.  Unless you are running on trails where you can't seen far enough ahead, the risk of tripping on something is relatively low. 

4.
Relax your arms. Keep your hands open and allow your arms and shoulders to relax as you are running. Increased tension of closes fists and flexed arms makes you tired and sore and promotes cramping. Some people debate about how you should swing your arms (straigt back and forth or across your body).  To this I say, if that's your biggest worry, you are well beyond my experience level.  One thing at a time -  I'll worry about that later

Here are some great articles regarding running form.  There are some excellent articles and Videos.
Runners World - Running Form

If you are experiencing pain when running, check out these pointers from Men's Health.  This is what lead me to start thinking I may have a problem with my form.

No comments:

Post a Comment