Monday, May 7, 2012

What a pain in the ...hip

So not long after I started running in earnest, I started getting pain I'm my right hip. Every time I would start running the pain would come. A stabbing pain that felt it was coming from deep inside my hip joint. My first assumption was that I must have strained a muscle or maybe I was developing some sort of tendinitis. I gave myself a week off from running and concentrated on stretching that area. After a week the hip was feeling great back at it and ready to run.

Here we go again
About a quarter mile into my first run since the rest, the hip pain started creeping back again. What the heck?!  It was feeling so good only a few minutes ago. I thought maybe it's just a little stiff from my time off so I finished my run. The pain subsided part way through so finishing wasn't too bad. Next time out - there it was again. Right away this time. My next genius thought was maybe it's because I'm always running on the same side of the road. Since the road has a slight crown, and my right leg is always on the outside, it has further to go to make contact with the ground this has to be it. I'm just consistently over extending my stride and jarring my hip. So that's what I need to do - alternate sides of the street when I run. Turns out I was almost right.
The one thing it didn't take me too long to figure out is that it doesn't really matter what side of the street I run on. This pain in my hip was just not going to go away.  It was about this time that I happened upon an article in Men's Health where they were discussing some of the common problems cause by poor running form.

I didn't know that running has a form. I thought running was just running. After reading that article I started researching running form. I captured what I have learned in Running Form 101.

It turns out that My pain was most likely caused by me jamming my hip joint when I was running. But this wasn't caused by running on the wrong side of the road. It was caused by running wrong. With some relatively minor tweaks I started noticing a better more comfortable run almost right away. And the pain in my hip - gone in a week!

And another plus - I got FASTER! Just like that I cut about 15 seconds a mile off my pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment