Monday, May 7, 2012

Why I Started Triathablog

To be truly honest one if the main reasons why I started this blog is to keep myself motivated. I'm currently in recovery mode and will be for the next several weeks. I need to keep myself motivated during this down time or I will never get back at it. Two days ago I underwent surgery to repair an umbilical hernia.
I have a what?
If you don't know what an umbilical hernia is, you are not alone. I had no clue until a couple of weeks ago. I started having pain in my abdomen. At first I just thought it was cramps or gas. Then I noticed that my belly button was turning from an outy to an inny. This kind of freaked me out. So what did I do, the same thing any person does.... I started playing Internet doctor and diagnosing myself. After a couple of hours of research I had it narrowed down to anything from appendicitis to colon cancer. Of course my wife was saying i think you have this umbilical hernia thing. Either way I was kind of freaked out and decided to call the doctor.
After maybe a two minute exam the doctor had it pinpointed - umbilical hernia - my wife was right, of course.
Next step surgery
Next thing I know I'm scheduled to talk to a surgeon about getting fixed. A little poking and prodding in my navel from this doctor and he says the same thing. Yup it's a hernia alright. A quick outpatient surgery and you'll be on your way. Sweet that doesn't sound too bad. So I ask "Hey Doc, what kind of recovery time are we talking about here? I'm training for a triathlon."
Six weeks
Six weeks - six weeks. I can't believe it. I'm sidelined for six weeks because of my stupid belly button. What the heck am I going to do now? I've been working so hard to get where I am today. I can't lose my motivation. I'm going to have to be ready to hit the training hard once I'm cleared.
Enter Triathablog
So part of what I'm doing is documenting it all here. I'm using this blog in a couple of ways. One is to keep talking about triathlons. I need to keep that conversation going so I don't lose track of my ultimate goal. Also, I plan on using this blog to record and organize my thoughts plans an ideas about triathlons. And if anyone actually reads this, maybe I'll meet some new people. Maybe I'll inspire someone to start training. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment