Friday, May 4, 2012

The Basics of Triathlon

Why? - Why not
Why would anyone want to do a triathlon?  Well I cannot answer that question for anyone except myself.  And I shouldn't answer for anyone else.  Come up with your own reasons why you do it.    I can say this about why I'm doing it - Because it sounds Awesome!  I like the idea that I will be able to say that I was able to complete three separate events back-to-back-to-back.  I like that I will be able to call myself a triathlete.  I’m doing it as awesome motivation to lose weight.  I have set the goal to finish a race and I'm using that as motivation to work out more.  I’m using it as a motivation to eat better.   I’m using the fact that I am committed to this event, to gain the commitment of others to compete along with me.  In gaining the commitment of family and friends to run, I am helping improve the overall health of the people around me.  - Awesome!

The events
So.. What are the three events of a (tri)athlon?  Traditionally they are swimming, biking and running.  What else is there to say.  You swim for a distance, then bike for a distance and then run for a distance.   Distances vary from race to race, depending on the overall objective competition level and limitations of the course venue.

Typical distances

Sprint
This is the shortest of all the distances.  Contrary to its name, its not likely that you will sprint the whole way through.  Typical sprint distances would be in the range of
Swim    500-700 Yards
Bike    12-15 Miles
Run    3-5 Miles


Olympic (Standard)
Swim    1.5K
Bike    40K
Run    10K


Ironman (AKA Ultra Triathlon)
Swim    2.2 Miles
Bike    212 Miles
Run    26.2 Miles

Gear
On the most basic level, there isn't much you need to complete a triathlon.  Great gear can be an advantage but it is not a necessity for the enjoyment of the sport.  There is an amazing amount of information out there on all sorts of awesome gear.  But from the start all you really need is:
1. Something to swim in (Swimsuit, cap is usually provided)
2. Something to Ride (Bicycle and Helmet)
3. Something to run in (Shorts, T-Shirt, Shoes)

That’s pretty much it.

No comments:

Post a Comment