Friday, May 4, 2012

Tell Everyone That You Are Doing a Triathlon

One of the biggest motivators for me has been telling everyone I know that I going to do a triathlon.  In doing this I am not only reassuring myself that I am actually going to do this, but I am also creating an expectation with lots of people of what I'm going to do.  It's a basic guilt thing.  I don't want to have to go back to everyone I know with a lame excuse about being too busy, too tired, too out of shape or whatever to do a triathlon.  I said I was committed and I am.

Why is this important?  Basically because it is keeping me honest.  There are certainly days that I wake up and don't feel like donning my running shoes and hitting the pavement.  But when I think about letting myself down and having to explain to all those people, who will eventually ask how it went, it gives me the motivation to get out the door. 

Another thing I've noticed is that the more people I tell, the more people want to get involved.  I have had several people tell me that the will do the triathlon with me and I think that's Awesome.  And if that doesn't motivate you to keep working then what will.  Who wants to be the person who convinces their friends to sign up for an event then backs out at the last minute.  Not me, that for sure!

So pass this on, tell your friends what your are doing and when.  You never know they might just join in too. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey...I'm doing a Triathalon, too... :) Actually two. I was telling friends at work about your challenge and we started one at work too. It is 3 weeks after ours. Between all of you I am always accountable to someone. It keeps me moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I totally agree. The more people I tell and the more I convince people to get involved, I find myself working harder and harder.

    ReplyDelete