Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 Review

In January of 2013 I had several goals for myself. 

Run
500 miles
Yes
Bike
750 miles
No
Swim
30 miles
No
Presque Isle Tri
1:15:00 or better
No (1:31:09)
Olympic Tri
complete
No

...So what happened?


The Successes
As I look back over the Past year, I am pretty stoked because I did reach my goal of running at least 500 miles.  As of December 2, as a matter of fact, I surpassed the half-century mark.  And for me, that is a major accomplishment.  Also, in the past year I ran several 5K races, a sprint triathlon, a 10K, my first ever half-marathon and first duathlon. 
While doing all of this, I was also raised money for two great charities.  I was able to raise nearly $500 to support Sebastian Riding Associates.  I also signed up with Charity Miles to use my training mileage to raise money for Autism Speaks. 

The Failures
I didn't come anywhere near my goals for riding or swimming.  Why not?  Well, because I didn't put enough priority on those two areas while training.  I greatly improved on my results form 2012 but did not even come close to the goals I set for this past year.  I also didn't improve on my time for the Presque Isle Triathlon.  That I partially attribute to not allowing enough recovery time between the half marathon and the triathlon (they were only a week apart).  And no Olympic distance triathlon for me this year either - didn't even sign up for one. 

So What Did I Learn?
1. I really think I should focus more on the duration of my training not the total distance.  This past year I only spent about 90 hours total doing some form of training (from my workout log on runkeeper.com).  In 2014, I want to at least double that number. 
2. I need a training plan
3. Recovery is critical.
4. I need to learn about nutrition - and not just race time nutrition.
5. The Six step process for reaching your goals really does work.  (I followed this process to reach my running goal - unfortunately I didn't for any other goal.
6. I need to sign up for more races. (See number 5)

Most Inspiring moment of 2013
Hands down this year it was the Im Able Duathlon.  This was such an amazing race for a great cause.  And what an awesome bunch of people too.  The IM Able foundation's goal is to "help all individuals realize the potential to go further and push harder than their preconceived limits".  Let me just say, when you are mid-race and your legs are burning and sweat is running into your eyes, and you start thinking maybe I could just pull out of this race.  I mean who cares, right? - then you see the guy next to you huffing and puffing harder than you because he is doing the same race as you with just his arms - How can you not be inspired?  Any reason you may have had to complain becomes completely irrelevant. 

Goals for 2014
1. Olympic distance triathlon
2. Presque Isle Triathlon (If I do it) 1:15 or better
3. At least 2 more sprint triathlons
4. Ride the complete Great Allegheny Passage Trail

Strategy for 2014
1. Train more consistently (follow a training plan)
2. Focus more on duration and quality of training and less on total distance accumulated
3. Work on nutrition.  Teach body to better metabolize fat for fuel.  Also, work on race day nutrition.
4. Get more experience racing (sign up for more races)

No comments:

Post a Comment